Saturday, June 14, 2008

Pancakes (wheat free)

Pancakes are really easy to make, and they have been a nice change of pace from the ordinary.  As I've made them for guests, their responses have been that these pancakes are lighter and the texture is refreshing.  These are not mushy and thick when you chew them.  Now my husband is anti-wheat free, as he likes traditional pancakes with loads of cheap syrup (I've tried to convert him, to no avail).  So these may be great, or you may hate em'.  If you want a softer pancake, use all oat flour.  I recommend Bob's Redmill oat flour because currently I am using Arrowhead Mills and the results are more moist, in a bad, mushy way.  Bob's is worth the extra money.   
Here's the recipe:

1 cup flour blend (use 3 of any kind, really.  I like to use flax meal for part, then maybe one starch and another that is hearty)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix those dry ingredients in a bowl.  Then mix in the following:
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup milk, any kind, they all work fine.  We use rice milk a lot.
2 Tablespoons oil
1 Tablespoon lemon juice

That's your batter. Don't be afraid to use a whisk to mix it all up.  Its okay to "get out the lumps", and I don't recall ever really having lumps in my batter to deal with.  When you first pour the batter into the skillet, its good with some sesame seeds sprinkled on the top wet side.  If you like all that fru-fru extra fun, that is.

No comments: